Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Shopaholic in a Different Way........

From time to time I will have guest bloggers on to share some of their shopping secrets!  This is from my friend, Auction Queen.

Shop Addict and I go way back to safety pins in our jeans, Beaver Canoe and if you can believe it Chalky’s ! Yup we go way back.

Over the years Shop Addict and I have gone in different directions with our wants and needs. She is the queen of shoes and me, well, I am the queen of 100+ yr old oil lamps and spending my afternoons drinking bad coffee waiting for the next item “deal” to be auctioned. Yes, boys & girls I am the queen of country auctions and re sale furniture. I am about to share a couple secrets with you.

One of the best auction houses is in Creemore, Ontario. For those of you that travel up Airport Road for some winter skiing or just to enjoy Collingwood, you will find Creemore 20 min south of Collingwood off Airport Road. Check out there site for the next up and coming sale www.simpsonauctions.com . If you are into a fun afternoon this is a must. To give you an idea of what kind of deals I found; I picked up a 100+ yr old pine sideboard for $800 (value $2600-$4500), an 8ft pine harvest table that can seat 14 for $400 (value $1200+) and 10x12 wool Persian rug for a wee $300 (value $1000++).

My next secret are resale shops. One of the best places to rummage through all sorts of stuff you don’t want just to find that one thing you do want, is in Guelph. You will find the charity shops and resale shops in the downtown area are the best. I have had great luck at Value Village were I found a mint condition vintage Hudson Bay blanket for $1.99 (value….priceless)

Happy shopping…….

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to go to an auction-sounds like so much fun!
    Some great information Auction Queen.

    ReplyDelete